Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The early (holiday) bird gets to enjoy

Well, the early holiday bird may get to enjoy, but the overdue blogger should repent for her non-blogging sins! Ha. Anyway, I'm here now, and I can't believe it's nearly the middle of December. That said, I'm JUST ABOUT DONE with my holiday shopping and go-getting. I have a few things to bake and two holiday get-togethers to handle, but that's about all. I will say, it's a nice feeling. I'm not bragging about being finished, but I'm saying it's good to sit back and take it all in. I put up my decorations right after Thanksgiving. I didn't do that because I'm one of these crazy Christmas people, but I did it because I had time and wanted to do it so I could sit in my living room, by the fireplace, of course and gaze at my handy work.


I'm one who believes the holidays are too commercial for their own good. We NEED to stop, drop and ENJOY (or roll, if you're on fire). I don't participate in that crazy Black Friday thing, in fact, I probably bought 95% of my gifts to give online! Internet=Greatest. Tool. Ever. I keep telling my Mom we need to stop with the gifts. My sister and I are too old. But I think if she lets go of that, it's like she's letting go of Christmas memories of years past. I get that. My hope every year is that the holiday comes and it's well-spent and well-celebrated. I hope to feel full, from food, of course, because we all know I can certainly do damage on the Christmas cookies, but also from family and friends. That's all. Most Christmases I've felt empty at the end of it all; like it came and went. Came with great fanfare but existed with much less. I want to enjoy the days leading up to THE DAY and the DAY OF. So let's strive for that. Just look at this picture of my dog, he's got the right idea: "Hi, I'm just sitting here with this green scarf on, what's up? Oh and P.S. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."


And here's a New Year's resolution EARLY, of course, because that's what today's note is about. Doing things EARLY to enjoy them. Moral of the story. I will write and reflect more.

Happy Holidays......

No comments:

Post a Comment