Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What I've realized

I had been teaching swimming lessons part-time in the evenings and on the weekends for the last year and half. On average, I had 8-10 lessons each week. It was alot when I factored in my full time day job. But the work was fun (most days!), I really enjoyed the kids (most days!). Well, last week was my first full week of no lessons--I decided to throw in the towel and take a break from part-time work for a bit. I made this decision because it felt like it was time to, hmmm, I don't know, get back on a regular schedule, do more house-related projects, work on myself for a little (and I do need a lot of work), cook more, read more, and on and on. Well, here's the kicker: having more time doesn't necessarily mean you spend the time productively.

I did make it to the gym last Thursday (see my "Fat Friday" post from 5/24), and Saturday was a good day. That day, I dismantled an IKEA dresser--honest to God, it took less than 5 minutes to do that (I poked it and it basically just fell apart)--moved a new dresser into its place, repainted the trim in our guest bathroom, swam laps, did all the laundry, walked my dog a few times (more than he wanted or needed, I suppose, but I was on a roll, god damnit!). So Saturday was a GOOD day. Then came Sunday.....now I started off with excellent intentions: I'm going to swim, take pooch for a long walk, volunteer (I visit with someone for a few hours each week), cook, bake, clean up the house. Well, I managed to accomplish two of those six well-intentioned tasks. I told myself, "it's ok, it's a holiday weekend, you'll do better tomorrow. You have all of Monday to be busy." WELL, now it's Monday morning. Again, I had a very nice list of to-do's: get up early, walk dog, hit the tile shop, swim laps, cook risotto for dinner, clean up the house (notice that one carried over from Sunday)....and guess what? I did cook the risotto, because, well, it's food, and we all know where my heart lies. I didn't swim, I didn't clean up the house, I didn't make it to the tile shop, BUT I did walk the dog, oh and I did watch Les Miserables, which wasn't on the list in the first place (and I'm embarrassed to say, I fell asleep....good lord was that a long movie or what?!).

So here's the conundrum: I now have more time to do more things, but it's like this extra time is just letting me slack more. I know a lot of people struggle with this concept. I was thinking this morning, maybe instead of making a list of things to do, I'd make a list of challenges? For example, "Ellie, here's your mission, should you choose to accept: do a load of whites, swim 50 laps, walk the dog for 30 minutes." And maybe if I accept (and complete) my "missions" I get an ice cream cone or something?!

Oh check this pic out, it's the IKEA dresser I took apart! Look at all that duct tape....it was holding the drawers together. haha. The pieces are sitting in our yard. I'm sure the neighbors are loving that eye sore.